for updates about the latest fixtures and results.
Tennis at Churchie is a popular sport played in Term 2 in the GPS competition with Years 5 to 12 competing.
Many boys come to Churchie having previously had private tennis lessons. They are able to continue with their coach and join the tennis programme run by the School’s Head Coach, who operates out of the David Turbayne Tennis Centre adjacent to the Eastern Suburbs Football Club, in Heath Park, East Brisbane.
During the season the Head Coach is responsible for the coaching of all representative school teams. He covers not only the execution of tennis shots but also the psychological aspects of the game and appropriate court etiquette. The Churchie Tennis community sees the promotion of tennis as an important life skill.
It enables boys to be part of a team, gain knowledge of their psychological strengths and acquire skills in an activity which is very much a part of Australian culture.
The first tennis captain was appointed in 1921 and tennis courts were built that same year. These courts remained in service (with extensions and modifications) until 2009 when the Sir John Pidgeon Sports Complex was built on the site. Other courts were also established for a time behind School House. In 2011 the David Turbayne Tennis Centre opened.